Nothing beats a solid stuffed portobello. Once you find a good recipe for this, you hold onto it, earmark it, and make it every time that earthy craving for mushrooms comes along, or if they are on sale! And if you want to get all scientific on why portobellos? Why now? Here's some of their amazing nutritional benefits: they are chock full of three important B-complex vitamins: riboflavin for your red blood cells, niacin to keep your skin all silky smooth and keep your GI tract on track, and pantothenic acid. Panothenic acid helps your body with the release of energy from the macros in your food (protein, carbs, and fats). You can also play with this recipe based on what you are going for with what kind of cheese you want, go cheddar and add some salsa on top for a Mexican vibe, or add basil to the meat mixture and use mozarella to go more Italian. Lots of options here.
- 4-6 portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Lb ground beef or ground meat of choice
- 1 Cup tomato sauce make your own using rolodex, or store bought with clean ingredients list
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- sallt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup fresh spinach
- 1 Cup cheese shredded (mozarella, cheddar, or parm would work well)
- 2 Tbs olive oil separated (use 1 Tbs to saute veggies, use the other to brown the meat)
- Discard mushroom stem, bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes and then pour any moisture that formed off the mushrooms (good to do this while meat mixture is cooking up).
- To make the sauce, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onions and peppers until they soften up. Add garlic, stir one more minute. Set veggies aside in a small bowl.
- Cook the ground meat with salt and pepper to taste in the same skillet, return cooked veggies to the pan, add in the tomato sauce and fresh spinach and cook until well combined and spinach has wilted.
- Scoop the meat sauce into each of the mushroom caps then sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place back in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, set oven to broil and broil on high for 2-3 minutes at the end. Easy!
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply