Bring on the bison! This chili recipe uses bison as the meat base. Your home will smell glorious as this one simmers, and the beans add in great fiber and protein too, but you don't have to tell your people how healthy this recipe is, that can be our secret! You can also sub out the bison for ground beef, turkey, or go vegetarian and add another can of beans (black beans, pinto, or chick peas would work) in its place.
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat pot and add extra virgin olive oil. Once it shimmers, add onion and sauté until soft about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add bison and brown with onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add red wine and reduce by half. (If you use more than ½ cup it’s ok. I also recommend having a glass of the wine while making this chili!). Add chili powder, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bay leaves.
- Simmer partially covered on low for approximately 45 minutes. If you like the chili thick, simmer on low without lid. Remove bay leaves and dish up!
- Serve with cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt, chopped onions, etc.
Add roasted hatch chili peppers
Use a chili spice of your liking
Change it up with venison, turkey, chicken or beef
When sauteing onions add red chili pepper flakes
Most importantly make it a family favorite!
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply