Creamed spinach is one of those ultimate comfort foods. Perfect for a cool evening, or if you are in need of some warm, nourishing veggies. We've created a tasty spin on this comfort food classic that forgoes the actual heavy cream and tons of cheese, for sour cream instead. The end result is a nutrient dense power house side dish that will make you feel comforted AND satisfied by meal's end.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 Tbsp butter high quality, grass fed, or Ghee
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp spelt flour or any alternative flour that can act as a thickening agent
- 1 Lb spinach fresh and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 Cup chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup sour cream or Greek yogurt if desired
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- dash cinnamon use high quality for full health benefits
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter or ghee in a medium sauté pan over medium heat and sauté onions for 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour, and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Microwave spinach, covered, about 2 minutes until completely wilted. Let cool, and squeeze out as much water out as possible. Or, you can use a separate pan and quickly saute to cook the spinach, then make sure to remove excess liquid prior to moving to next step, otherwise, the end result will be runny, rather than creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, including spinach, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply